I have just joined this forum as I have finally achieved a lifetime dream - buying a Vacheron watch. The Patek was bought first - just like every millionaire buys a new Mercedes. Once one has enjoyed the Mercedes for a while you can focus on other brands which sing loudly to the owner but not so loudly to the public. VC is very similar to this in my opinion.
A good friend once said to me that you can tell a true watch collector by the presence of a VC in the collection.
I have been looking for a playmate for my Patek Philippe 5107. I wanted something completely opposite to my Patek in a dress watch. I mean by this, the following:-
1) small size - as opposed to the "grande Talle" ego of the Patek
2) yellow gold - as opposed to the descrete white gold patek
3) vintage - as opposed to the modern size and style of the 5107 patek
4) fancy bezel - as opposed to the smoove bezel on the Patek
5) subseconds at 6 - as opposed to the patek's 3rd hand
I found a vintage 6405 Vacheron from an Australian watch dealer.
The Vacheron needed a full service and polish - NEW pics to be posted once it returns.
I love the 1960s style of the piece. The aim was to make a small watch - no dinner plate specials please!
I think I now have the best of both worlds.