It seems that here on the Hour Lounge we have a great fascination about VC and yet we do not hesitate to criticize when we think that it is due. So what do you like/dislike at VC?
1) The name of the brand: may be stupid but it sounds exotic and classy like the Orient Express
2) The designs: avant garde and out of the box designs in vintage and modern watches (think Masks, Explorers, Patrimony bi-retrograde...)
3) The metiers d'art: enameling, engraving etc.. which keep these crafts alive. I like the fact that these crafts are present in regular production watches and not only for special orders
4) the bespoke service: no other barnds offers this..well maybe to their richest clients but unlke VC which is open to all
5) the new direction the brand is taking: the 2007 novelites show a more contemporary path VC is taking and one more in line with its avant garde designs of the past
6) the amazing finish of the inhouse calibers
1) The rather dusty and dated brand image the brand may have had pre 2000
2) The lack of brand identity which gave us all these different watches which had nothing in common
3) The lack of marketing and communications: a brand with VC's history and production should not be compared to Patek, Patek should be compared to VC! VC should be the benchmark and obviously they kind of missed the transition from an understated gentleman's watch to an understated gentleman's watch with communication and marketing behind it.
However to be fair I have to say that with the new and improved VC I am seeing my dislikes are fadding